Why was Novi Sad chosen for SEE-IT Summit, 7th – 9th of November 2018
Thanks to the University of Novi Sad, and especially the Faculty of Technical Sciences, innovation and entrepreneurship have been fueled for many years. Today, Novi Sad is the center for IT in Serbia, and an important IT hub in the Balkan & SEE Region. Over 150 companies span-off from the university, far more than in any other regional center, making Novi Sad the hotbed for IT in this part of the world.
CISCO Entrepreneurship Institute (CEI) in Serbia and Southeast Europe has been established at the Faculty of Technical Sciences at the University in Novi Sad, as a result of cooperation between CISCO, entrepreneurship education on a commercial basis to Serbian entrepreneurs, SMEs, and public sector employees in the following areas: Starting a Business, Growing a Business, and Business and Public Service Improvement through ICT.
Novi Sad is home to Biosens Institute, the leadine European research organization in AgriTech. Cooperation of Biosens and Vojvodina ICT Cluster brought the biggest EU FP7 project in Serbia ever, while Biosens later won 30 billion EUR Antares project in the competition of over 200 European institutes, also in the area of AgriTech.
There are over 250 IT companies in Novi Sad, some of them leaders in their niches:
- Joint Venture SE DMS NS created software in the area of power management, which according to Gartner, is the best product in the World for past five consecutive years.
- A51 created project management software, ActiveCollab, and their client include names such as Disney, SAP, and many others.
- Eipix Entertainment is a gaming company, producing two dozen HOPA (Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) games per year, holding 80% of the global market for this type of games.
- RT-RK created first set-top boxes for Google and partners with companies such as US-based Goran Corporation.
- Prozone is the leading provider of software solutions for oil industry, with clients in Middle East and USA.
- Execom, the company with global reach to clients in telecommunication and medical sectors, was labeled as one of the fastest-growing companies in Europe.
Top three positions in Serbia, when it comes to business performance and profit, are held by Novi Sad-based IT companies.
One thing in which Novi Sad stands out is entrepreneurial spirit of its IT professionals. Not many people know that the first MP3 decoder was created in Novi Sad. Management of electric power distribution in over 100 countries would be very different without solutions from this city. Solutions made in Novi Sad won first prizes in San Francisco AgriTech event last year.
In Novi Sad 1800 students enrolls IT studies each year, nearly a third of all IT students in Serbia.
While visiting Novi Sad, the Prime Minister Ana Brnabić said: “It is fantastic that Novi Sad, not Belgrade, is the IT center of Serbia. I have come here to learn, and to see the best IT practice in Novi Sad, so we can apply it elsewhere in our country.”
One of handful Science and Technology parks in Serbia is being constructed in Novi Sad.
Vojvodina ICT Cluster from Novi Sad, the oldest and the best developed organization of this type in Serbia, pioneered informal dual-approach IT education, which is followed today on a larger scale by the Serbian Government.